We’ve got ourselves a new website! Well, I did, truth be told. I’m a one
man studio after all. But speaking in plural does sound more professional,
doesn’t it? The Tumblr blog will still be
there, of course, I have no intention of getting rid of it. Everything will
simply be cross-posted between those two.
This website, with me having access to its code, to every single little
feature, is much more elastic and can be expanded upon. Which may be needed,
were I to add a download for some early versions of the game, or other
things like that. That’s really it for this post. No major breakthroughs
on the front of OneGun itself. I may have an idea on how to make the room
spawning actually work, but I’ll need to run some math on that first.
See you in the next update!
In the meantime, you may want to subscribe to our
Newsletter. Nothing is being sent
out right now, but I hope to use it to inform you of any major updates,
so you don’t have to check this blog every day.
This one is more of an update, really. First of all, I finally managed to
fix the issue with chests not opening. Turns out it was an issue with a
random integer being randomized with every check on the algorithm, so when
it was checking “is it 0? Is it 1? Is it 2?” the result could be “false”
with each pass. Thankfully changing that if tree for a switch fixed the issue.
There hasn’t been many updates recently, right? Well, you will be delighted
to hear, that I am now on a spring break, and that means aaaaall the time
in the world I need. And that time will be used to improve this here lil’
project of mine. What’s next in store? Well, I’m currently working on level
generation. I almost got it working too. When that’s done, I’ll add some
more rooms,a few basic enemies (or I’ll stick to the practice targets for
the time being, we’ll see) and probably, maybe, possibly release an early
pre-alpha demo or something. See you soon, in further updates!
Today with less content and more plans. I thought it’s still worth noting
both the progress and the plans, ad futuram rei memoriam. Today no gifs,
just me talking about short-term goals for OneGun (this name really did
stick, didn’t it?)
Battling current issues
I still, for the love of me, can’t get the practice targets to reset on
a push of a button. I know how to do it, it did work if it was just set on
a timer in the target’s actor itself, but when it needs to be activated
via external means? Not looking so hot. Also, I’m trying to make a beam
of a variable length as one of environmental hazards. In one of the previous
posts you could even see it. It was initially achieved using a cylinder
with no collisions, that detected when a player is overlapping it.
The problem with that solution was that the beam would have to have a static
length and could not be blocked by, say, a crate. That’s why I opted for
a raycasting method instead. And it works. What doesn’t, is the particle
beam effect, that passes through walls. I need to find a way to stop it
at a location of the raycast’s hit. Last but not least, I noticed that
even when the health variable has a range of 0-100, being healed for 10
points when having 99 health will put you at 109 in total.
Which should not happen. I need to find a way to fix it as well.
Not much has been done this week. To be honest, I almost forgot to post
about anything that was done. Juggling game development and college isn’t
easy, and it is taking its toll. Don’t do it, kids. I managed to implement
two little features, however.
You shoot something, this something blows up and falls apart. That’s about
it. I still need to tinker with physics settings a bit a lot, but it’s
there and it’s working. More or less. The barrel needs proper inner walls,
as well as it has to damage the player. Some actual explosion effects would
also be nice.